Area of Focus:
Academic Support/Homework Help, Arts (Visual, Music, Dance, Theater), Community Service/Service Learning
Group Leader (After school)
Flatbush Development Corporation is committed to providing positive social and academic learning opportunities within the Flatbush community in order to promote independence, confidence, creativity, and civic awareness among its youth.
The Group Leader is responsible for the daily supervision of up to 30 after-school program participants between the ages of 6 and 13 (depending on program site). Under the direction of the Program Director, the Group Leader helps implement daily activities (ie. sports, drama, dance, art, and STEM) for their assigned group. Group Leaders use a variety of resources, provided by the Program Director, to introduce new skills throughout the duration of the program. To accomplish this, Group Leaders may be asked to participate in professional development training on and offsite.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure the safety and engagement of children in assigned group;
- Provide assistance with homework and encourage academic progress;
- Plan and facilitate purposeful and engaging activities and group projects that complement the program’s thematic or project-based agenda;
- Facilitate recreational activities
- Work constructively with partner and other colleagues; communicate regularly with supervisory staff.
- Participate in training and staff development activities throughout the school year outside of program hours and in many cases, off-site;
- Serve as a positive role model and uphold professional behavior;
- Record and maintain daily attendance records of group participants using method prescribed by the Program Director.
- Light cleaning as required (could include sweeping, taking the garbage out, wiping down tables, etc.)
How to Apply:
To the Attention of:
- Ability to facilitate, motivate, and influence children in a team/group environment.
- Enjoys organizing and participating in physical activities.
- Extremely reliable and patient.
- High School diploma, some college preferred
- At least two years of experience working in a school or community based setting; working with elementary and/or middle school students
- Experience in working within ethnically diversified populations
How to Apply: Email a cover letter and resume to HR at fdconline dot org with Group Leader in the subject line - No phone calls or faxes will be accepted. Learn more about FDC at www.fdconline.org.
FDC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. FDC does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.