About Phipps Neighborhoods:
Phipps Neighborhoods helps children, youth, and families in low-income communities rise above poverty. We work in South Bronx neighborhoods where we can address the greatest barriers to lasting success through education and career programs, and access to community resources.
Phipps Neighborhoods offers Summer Learning Camp to 1,000 low-income students in the Bronx and Manhattan each year. Summer camp is critical for low-income communities, offering safe, supervised and educational opportunities to the children we serve. Our Summer Learning Camps help introduce new ideas, build self-confidence, encourage new friendships, and provide memorable experiences to participants.
The Summer Group Leader is responsible for working closely with a small group of elementary or middle school students, helping them to achieve their best in both academic and non-academic settings. Summer Group Leaders develop, implement, and participate in a range of activities geared towards making the students excited about being in an academically and culturally enriching environment. Summer Group Leaders will help young people to develop individualized strategies for meeting their goals and improving their academic skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide supervision and ensure the safety of program participants at all times, including during trips.
- Engage students in a wide range of project based learning activities.
- Maintain accurate participant attendance, activity and sign-out records.
- Develop lesson plans and curriculum in accordance with program schedule, programmatic themes, objectives, and outcomes.
- Document student progress.
- Establish a comfortable learning environment and implement clear, consistent age-appropriate expectations and rules.
- Model appropriate child development practices.
- Uphold program policies and procedures and ensure proper use of supplies and materials.
- Maintain classroom cleanliness and organization.
- Maintain ongoing open communication with parents.
- Attend staff meetings, professional development workshops and program events.
- Communicate with all staff, parents, children and community members in a polite and respectful manner so as to represent the program in a professional way.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Program Director.